Monday, July 13, 2009

happy birthday, henry


It really blows me away that you are now 5. It's seems like a big deal. Real school is just a few months away and you are figuring out the world more each day. Last night at bedtime you asked me who made the world. I offered a quick summary of the big bang theory and the God theory. At first you were focused on who made all of the roads and cars and towns and such and "people" was an easy answer. We talked about how the big question is who made people and nature. I remember having similar thoughts at your age and I also remember being thoroughly freaked out realizing that I was just one person with these thoughts rattling around in my brain in a huge universe. Pretty big thoughts for a 5-year-old but that's something you and I seem to have in common. I think it comes from my dad. We don't seem to stop thinking and planning and reasoning and questioning, even when it's not in our best interest. The great part about the conversation was that you didn't seem to get freaked out at the expansiveness of it all. You simply replied that, "oh, yeah, a volcano made nature. A tall, steep one." And that was that. It was all you needed. On one hand, your tendency to come up with your own answers and be so sure that they are correct drives me a little crazy (then again, it's another on of my tendencies that emerged at an early age) but in most cases I love how you can be satisfied and comforted by your understanding of things. You aren't too caught up in the big picture or the pesky details. You are still a little kid and I am so very thankful for that. And I'm not ready for anything else yet.

I look forward to another year with you, learning how to give you what you need and showing you the things I love in this world. I hope that our similarities will allow me to help you navigate through life a little easier than I have at times and when I can't, that I can help you pick up the pieces and move forward with strength and the knowledge that you are loved always, no matter what. Sweet dreams as you rest tonight my newly-5-year-old boy. Love, Mama

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger nonlineargirl said...

Sweet boy, great mama.

7/16/2009 8:50 PM  
Anonymous Kristi said...

wow.... 5. I'm not even sure I remember mine turning 5.

Enjoy it while you can. They grow up too fast!

8/08/2009 5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home