Wednesday, May 20, 2009

books for babies


Since my readership is likely zero these days this may only be of interest to it's one intended audience member and that is fine. If not, please add to the list. My lovely friend, Nora, is having twins soon (very soon) and mo-wo has set up a lovely virtual baby shower for favorite kid books. Books were a bigger deal than usual around here when Mia was very young. Sometimes it was tough but breast feeding her while reading Henry a book was about all I could do to keep us all functioning some days. Here are a few of my favorites. The David Wiesner books are lovely and don't have words so the older child can help make up the story and can't be bothered if you miss a word or sentence or don't read it exactly right in your state of sleep deprivation. My kid can't be the only uptight perfectionist with a memory for exact phrasing out there, can he?

Zen Shorts by Jon Muth. It is lovely in so many ways.

Sector Seven and anything else by David Wiesner.

The Henry books by DB Johnson are quite nice and based on the life of Henry David Thoreau. I ordered Henry Climbs a Mountain online after enjoying Henry Works and unexpectedly found myself having to explain slavery to a 4-year-old. Not such a bad thing but a good reminder to read a book myself first whenever possible, at least so I can be prepared.

I am a bit embarrassed to say that I find the Skippyjon Jones books a lot of fun to read. Who doesn't love a terrible Spanish accent?

My own childhood favorites include all of the Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel. It's has been nice that these are for sale in the little paperback stand at our local new season's grocery store so I could pick one up now and then to make both myself and the kids feel like we were getting a treat.

Henry went through a phase where it was always one more book. Or, more to the point, he would demand right up front that we read 5 books. I could always say no but I like to avoid a fight and solved this by asking his grandparents to stock us up on Little Critter books by Mercer Mayer. Favorites include Just a Mess, Just Go to Bed, and Just Going to the Dentist. They are short, easy to read and I actually find the illustrations quite expressive and funny. Also, the moral isn't half bad most of the time.

The only books I refuse to read are those about Amelia Bedelia. I just can stand all of the confusion and puns.

That's what I have for now. I am looking forward to seeing other's lists. I have a feeling we are going to be seeing babies very soon and I am so excited!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger mo-wo said...

Wow what a wonderful list. I posted tonight. Thanks a lot for posting. If you follow the link you will find there my love of Muth and Wiesner too. Zen Shorts was my very first recommended title on our blog.

GREAT MINDS think alike!

Come on babies!

5/20/2009 10:59 PM  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

Cool list - we recently had sector seven out from the library and Ada loved it. Plus, anything aimed at her age kids but without words is cool as she and I could "read" it together.

5/21/2009 9:57 AM  
Blogger Magpie said...

Ack! Babies are here, and I never posted.

We love Zen Shorts, and Zen Ties.

5/22/2009 6:52 PM  
Anonymous mayberry said...

Ooh, we have Henry Builds a Cabin but I didn't know there were other Henry books! Must fix that ASAP.

6/24/2009 8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home