Monday, March 19, 2007

anchovies, a kind of fish

Either Henry will stop at nothing to prove he’s right or he’s just my kid. Wait, maybe those are one in the same. Tonight he pulled a tin of anchovies out of the pantry and asked what they were. We told him they were a kind of little fish, anchovies. He then insisted that he wanted to eat them. We told him many things to try to convince him that he wouldn’t like them and they weren’t good to eat plan but he insisted that, no, he liked them. There was lots of smiling and head nodding and “oh, yes, I like them. Yep, I do. I like to eat them.” So, I figured I could make a dressing and let him try one. I kind of (not so) secretly like the horrified face he makes when he eats something he thinks is gross anyway. The can was opened and we put one on a little plate and gave him a bite. And he just continued with “I like them. I like to eat little fish. Yummy.” and ate an anchovy in three bites. No bad faces but neither did he ask for another one. Jason just said, “your kid.” So, either he’s like me in that he likes anchovies or like both of us in that he really likes to be right. Although I might be somewhat proud and frightened by such an early display of a will of steel, truth be told, I think it’s the former. When he doesn’t like the taste or smell of something he let’s us know right away and repeatedly. I actually expected him to take one look at the open can and refuse to try it. Then again, we was pretty damn smug about the whole thing. Maybe he’s getting craftier than I think. I suppose only time will tell.

On the baby front, things are fine and dandy for the most part. I’m tired and have a bit of a cold at the moment but the baby is head down and things all appear to be normal. My blood pressure is threatening to be an issue but so far it’s barely in check. I swear that if I could just get adequate rest I would be fine. Work is winding down and hopefully the worst is behind me. I am taking it easy for sure but at the same time I’m not feeling ready to have this baby yet- emotionally, physically or actual preparedness of the house, etc. Having the baby at home adds to the feeling of not being ready around here so it’s time to take action in as calm a manner as possible. More on that soon (but not too soon I hope). I miss writing and reading blogs and can only figure that I’ll get back to it as things settle in a new way on the home front. For now, I will continue to plod along.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger nonlineargirl said...

I have been thinking about you the past couple of days - glad to hear from you (and thanks for the email).

3/20/2007 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it all. Really, I don't. My kids are 25 months apart (but they're 19 and 17 now) but since they're older it's hard to remember the difficult times to some degree. I re-read my journals or their baby books and think, "Oh yeah! How the hell did I forget that?"

Oh yeah... anchovies???? Blech! That's some kid you got there!

3/24/2007 3:45 PM  
Blogger Janna said...

Hey - You don't have an Email-me buttong, but I'm an editor at Parents m agazine and I'd like to ask you a question. Will you email me at janna.oberdorf@meredith.com

4/05/2007 12:25 PM  
Blogger Lynanne said...

Hilarious! Sounds like he didn't like them but wasn't about to admit it. My son did the same thing with canned spinach. It had a picture of Popeye on the front and he insisted he would like it. I tried to explain that canned spinach is MUCH different than uncooked/fresh spinach but he still insisted on trying it. The look on his face was priceless. He didn't want to admit defeat but I could see it in his eyes. I gave him the option of not finishing it and he gladly took the out. :)

I was going through my blogroll and noticed you hadn't posted in a while. I hope all is well with you and the babe!! Give us an update when you feel up to it. :)

4/30/2007 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home