Friday, July 13, 2007

hello, three!

I am continuing my tradition of writing a little note to Henry every night on his birthday. Here it is with the past two years following.

7/13/07
Goodbye, two. Hello, three! Today is your birthday and once again I just got out of the rocking chair with you on my lap. Only this year you walked to your big boy bed by yourself and then asked for three cups of water, two of them hot. I have your dad’s recent accidental delivery of warm tap water to thank for that new little quirk. In fact, now you are yelling at me for the fourth time to get you more hot water and wanted to show me the “birthday circle” you just made out of your new fire hose toy. You had a great birthday today, spending time with both sets of grandparents. You were gracious and sweet, thanking your daddy and me after we sang happy birthday to you first thing this morning. You told everyone how you are three and kept telling me how excited you were that today was your birthday and that you loved your presents. You also told both your grandma and me that we were beautiful at different times today. In short, you are still a charming little, (no. sorry. big that is.) boy. This has been a bit of a tough year with the words “no” and “now” leaving your mouth at high volumes more frequently than I would like but I am learning to be more patient and you are learning to be more patient and we are learning to live together and communicate better every day. Really, we are. You are making me a better, stronger kinder person and you make me smile and laugh every day. You are a great big brother and the best son I could ever ask for in all of the world. Happy birthday, sweet boy!

(You just convinced me to "baby rock" you one more time (I could hardly deny you on your birthday) and your little sighs and heavy little blonde head on my arm brought tears to my eyes once again.)

7/13/06
I just put you in bed, my big, wriggling, kicking, chatting, laughing, smiling boy. You still like to rock in my lap and ask to “baby rock” before bed most nights. Tonight we read a book about bunnies in love twice and then I sang your bedtime songs to you before I put you happily in your crib. I am sure that you are the only one in this world who will ever ask me to sing and I will be sad when you finally realize how off-key I am and don’t ask anymore. But I will also understand! I had intended to head straight for my computer to write you a note but I got a phone call and had to do some last minute work for a couple of hours first. That’s how our lives have been lately. Incredibly busy with most minutes of the day packed with activity. You are learning and growing and changing so fast I am constantly reminding myself to stop and breathe and take time to enjoy life with you. I put off the crazy work issues when I’m with you as much as I can and always try to focus on what’s most important in my life first, and that is you. Thank you for reminding me of that everyday. Happy birthday, Henry.

7/12/05
A year ago this hour I had just started to go into active labor. Tonight you had a tough time falling asleep so I rocked you in my arms and you fell asleep looking into my eyes. I cried and cried thinking about what an amazing year it has been and how every tough moment has been worth it. A year ago this house and our lives were focused on two people now we are three. I can’t imagine it any other way.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

What a great legacy you are leaving him!!

8/26/2007 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home