Friday, June 22, 2007

going with the flow

I have come a long way in the last few weeks in dealing with my frustration with Henry. I know that frustration is normal and that toddlers are inherently irrational but I know that my frustration was turning into anger and anger was coming through in my reactions to him. In some cases this may be okay but for the most part it wasn’t helpful and I ended up feeling really crappy. In part out of guilt for snapping at him but, even more so, the anger itself just made me feel bad. I realized and am continuing to realize that I can’t fight with him. We are all too strong-headed around here and it just doesn’t work. As Jason’s hilariously zen colleague told me, we have to flow with them. We being the adults and they being the kids that is. So, I am working on flowing with the situation and staying really calm and connected and I think we are all benefiting from it. I am still feeling frazzled and a little crazy but I feel like the relationship with each of my children is growing and improving a little every day, which really makes it all worthwhile.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when my daughter was born... my son started driving me NUTS...out of the blue. I could never really decide if it was because he had just turned 2 or if it was because I now had two kids.

All I can say is that it does get better. Then my son turned 19 and is now back on my last nerve!!!

6/24/2007 4:39 PM  
Blogger a happier girl said...

Go with the flow is such great advice for parents. When my three year old is frustrating me endlessly I try really hard to take a deep breath and let go of the anger. Some days are better than others. But it's still great advice.

6/30/2007 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home