Sunday, May 20, 2007

curious punctuation

On Mother’s Day, my in-laws sent me a hallmark e-card. Not surprising as they send us these email cards for pretty much every occasion. The message read:

Happy Mother’s Day. Thank you for the two “wonderful” grandchildren. We hope you enjoy “your” day. Love, S and B

As someone who does a lot of reading and writing and a fair amount of editing professionally, I have to say that I am more than a little confused by the use of quotation marks around “wonderful” and “your.” It keeps popping back into my head throughout the day as though I will ever have a clue what they intended.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that IS strange. Do you get along with the in-laws? My in-laws are from mars

5/21/2007 4:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, that is some very odd punction, I think it would bother me as well.

5/21/2007 8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are people using quotes for emphasis these days? is that the deal? cause it baffles me too, but if you read the card as though the words were italicized, it makes a lot more sense...

hope you're doing well, lady!

5/21/2007 9:30 AM  
Blogger mama without instructions said...

i am guessing jason's dad actually wrote it and i believe that they were genuinely being nice. i'll choose to believe that he was using quotes as emphasis, as strange as that is. i hadn’t thought of it and at least it will help me get it out of my head!

5/21/2007 1:41 PM  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

Definitely for emphasis, but completely grating. I see that a lot in signs: "real" beef. That makes me nervous. Don't people know how to emphasize with bold or capitals? What has the world come to?

By the way, I "enjoyed" your post.

5/21/2007 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home