Wednesday, September 06, 2006

notes from the field

The morning got off to a bit of a rocky start since I woke up about 20 times all night long. I got out the door late and as I am unaccustomed to driving in real morning traffic I was late. Now for hours I have been sitting in a big, modern, beautiful conference room with my back to windows looking over the city. The room is full of developers, planners, lawyers and PR people. Generally I can tell them apart by what they are wearing. I am bored. My contribution is fairly minimal but so far less awkward than expected and semi-interesting. Actually the detailed plans for a destination golf resort really aren’t interesting at all. By my calculations, this 8-hour meeting is costing the client over 20 grand. Actually, just observing how our project process, usually focused on land planning, works and doesn’t work within this developer process will be valuable and useful for future discussions and internal program planning. At the moment I feel like I can make the observations in my sleep, which is clearly necessary.

Hours have passed. I went from mildly interested and reevaluating my current work life this morning, which has me working at home or with a minimum of three people at a time most days. Coming downtown, wearing adult clothes, eating good catered food, working in a beautiful building, all felt pretty good for a few hours. If only it were possible to have the above without wading through incredible amounts of bullshit spewed by ridiculously paid assholes with big egos. I imagine it must be possible but I am reminded that I am in the wrong arena. I am reminded that I absolutely do not love what I do. Good god, if I never have to work with another politician or PR expert, particularly on land use issues, I would be a happier, or a least less pissed off, person. At least the chocolate filled and desserts are amazing.

A side not: Maybe it’s a lawyer thing but I don’t think I’ve ever seen mouthwash (with the firm’s name on the large pump bottle) in a firm’s restroom. If I had, I would have guessed it would have been at a dentist.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger nonlineargirl said...

Every time I am in a fancy office for work, I have a "wouldn't it be nice" moment. It would, except for all the other crap. And the fact that I'm in a gov't/non-profit ghetto and have never, ever had an office. (ok, before grad school I shared an office with 3 grad students, but that doesn't count.)

9/07/2006 11:21 AM  
Blogger Bridgermama said...

Chocolate is good and who wouldn't be impressed with the mouthwash?

9/07/2006 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home