Tuesday, August 22, 2006

amazon dot com, or, stay off my bad side, bitches

The second title option is a little misleading because even when they are on my bad side, there's not a damned thing I can do about it. I just felt like saying bitches.

The good: aside from the feeling that I should be supporting a local bookseller, I really like buying from Amazon. I like browsing and reading reviews of questionable value and comparing things (such as particular genres of cookbooks) any time of day or night. I like that I can get good prices and free shipping on books and the occasional DVD or toy. I like the wish list feature for tracking things I may want to buy in the future. Generally my orders are quick and easy and arrive when promised.

The bad: the few times that I have had problems with an Amazon order, customer service sucks. First, it is very hard, if not impossible, to find a phone number for customer service and is not particularly easy to email them. They seem to believe that every question has been answered previously and can be found in their helpful online help database. No so.

Most recently, I had three email exchanges with various people who didn’t help me at all with an issue concerning my bank account information that really pissed me off. I ended up being told to call their credit card/bank processor and getting nowhere. The credit card company finally gave me the Amazon phone number and an Amazon guy immediately told me the problem was on their end and not to worry about it. It would be fixed in a day or so. A day or two later I got another email explaining all of the problems on my end that could of occurred but, wait, my order had been processed and it was all ok. No culpability or explanation at all following the handful of alarmist emails they sent over three days. It ended: “Rest assure, all account information provided to Amazon.com is stored on a computer that is not connected to the Internet. Thank you for all of your patience and understanding. I do hope that you will honor us with another opportunity to prove the quality of our service to you in the future.

It is of course very likely that I will “honor them with another opportunity” at my business and I will do what I can to “rest assure” about the whole thing but I needed the chance to rant first.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love that you said "bitches". it's such an awesome word.

8/22/2006 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home