Thursday, July 13, 2006

happy birthday baby

I didn’t do a great job of writing during Henry’s early months and first year for that matter. I managed to get a rambling birth story down over time but it was more for me than him. I wasn’t “into” blogs and a running Word document wasn’t terribly inspiring. I was able to start what I hope will become a tradition on his birthday of jotting a few thoughts down for him each year on the anniversary of that memorable day.

7/12/05
A year ago this hour I had just started to go into active labor. Tonight you had a tough time falling asleep so I rocked you in my arms and you fell asleep looking into my eyes. I cried and cried thinking about what an amazing year it has been and how every tough moment has been worth it. A year ago this house and our lives were focused on two people now we are three. I can’t imagine it any other way.

7/13/06
I just put you in bed, my big, wriggling, kicking, chatting, laughing, smiling boy. You still like to rock in my lap and ask to “baby rock” before bed most nights. Tonight we read a book about bunnies in love twice and then I sang your bedtime songs to you before I put you happily in your crib. I am sure that you are the only one in this world who will ever ask me to sing and I will be sad when you finally realize how off-key I am and don’t ask anymore. But I will also understand! I had intended to head straight for my computer to write you a note but I got a phone call and had to do some last minute work for a couple of hours first. That’s how our lives have been lately. Incredibly busy with most minutes of the day packed with activity. You are learning and growing and changing so fast I am constantly reminding myself to stop and breathe and take time to enjoy life with you. I put off the crazy work issues when I’m with you as much as I can and always try to focus on what’s most important in my life first, and that is you. Thank you for reminding me of that everyday. Happy birthday, Henry.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bridgermama said...

You are such a wonderful mother. Henry will cherish these words one day. I hope to be half as eloquent on B's birthday. I am so happy to know you and your sweet boy too.

7/13/2006 10:26 PM  
Blogger megan said...

i love the picture. you are both so happy!

sweet sweetness

7/14/2006 1:09 AM  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

I love the idea of the little note on the birthday. For someone so busy, you always seem well balanced and do a good job making room for the important things.

7/14/2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger Heather Bea said...

Happy Birthday Henry! That is such a sweet picture of the two of you.

7/16/2006 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home