Saturday, February 28, 2009

I spent a good part of the day picking up and organizing around here. Nothing too serious but I got to the bottom of a number of surfaces I haven't seen in weeks. At least. The office/bedroom remodel and swap was a big project and we went into it after a stretch of being sick and craziness so it feels like things have been a crazy mess forever. With a place for most things and a bit of puttering around, we made great strides. We have serious piles to organize, sort, donate, give away, trash in he basement. There is still tremendous effort required down there but it is great to have our living spaces cleared out and picked up. The new office is mostly there and is cozy and pleasant. It is all such and improvement I can hardily believe it took us this long to come up with a plan and change things.

When Henry was born, he slept with us or in a co-sleeper and then a crib, and later a bed, in our room. Then Mia was born and slept in our room, as did Henry until she was about 6 months old. So, we have been sharing our bedroom with a baby or toddler or both for 4.5 years. I have no complaints and wasn't thinking about rushing Mia out of our room but I have to say that I am unexpectedly thrilled to have our room back. I think I am sleeping better even thought they are just cross the hall and I can hear most noises they make. Mia finishing with diapers allowed us to get rid of the changing table and diaper pail, cloth diaper set up, etc. Without the crib and changing table, the room seems so much more spacious and, best of all, it gives me a nice, quiet, tv-free space in the evenings after the kids are asleep to do whatever I please. I'm not sure exactly what that is yet but I expect it includes reading, yoga, meditating, doing cross-word puzzles, finally organizing my closets and drawers, perhaps even talking on the phone. So, now I am off to sleep in my spacious room, resting on a bit of domestic satisfaction.

.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home