Saturday, November 25, 2006

unwelcome

We went to a small restaurant this morning for brunch with Jason’s parents at a place that we really like(d) for dinner. I had read accounts/rumors that the chef isn’t tolerant of kids. I know he has an older son but whatever. Henry was ok but he was hungry and getting pissed that Jason wouldn't let him try his drink. A few times (4 total I believe) he let out a pretty big shrieky yell. At one point the chef (open kitchen) stuck his finger in his ear and gave me a bad look and mouthed “loud”. I was already unhappy about the deal with Henry and it really didn’t help. I have no idea what the fuck he really wanted to accomplish aside from making us feel unwelcome. The thing is, Henry sat in his seat the whole time and made cute faces at the waitress (who told us how cute and smart he was several times) and the other owner made goo goo eyes with him much of the time we were there. The restaurant was busy and there was loud (too loud for me) music playing. We are not talking about anything resembling a tantrum here. The kid yelled a few times and, yes, I admit it was a bit piercing. Had even one other person seemed to notice we would have gotten him out of there but it was seriously minor given the situation. There were other kids in the place and it just wouldn’t have been that big of a fucking deal. I know I am feeling defensive and judged but I don’t know how else to feel. The chef sort of warmed up and smiled at Henry later when his colleagues pretty much made him but it was little consolation to me. I am done ranting but I’m sad that even if it’s not logical I have little interest in returning to one of my favorite restaurants in town even without the boy. Ick.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I'd have been tempted to pick up plate and mouthed the words "sub-par."

11/27/2006 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home