Sunday, November 05, 2006

"pum-keen" galore

I’m pretty set in my ways when it comes to the right way to cook certain things and usually that means doing it “from scratch.” It’s not really a philosophical position, it’s just the way I learned how. Cooking and eating haven’t been so easy lately though so I have accepted canned pumpkin into my kitchen. Henry loves the stuff and so far in the last month we have had pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pancakes and waffles, pumpkin sauce on pasta, and finally the pumpkin pie. I can’t say I can tell the difference between fresh and canned at all in the pie and man oh man was it quick. I didn’t have to think or plan ahead or break out the food processor. A one-bowl pie is about all I can ask for and a it was a great-tasting one at that. I guess sometimes being flexible has its perks.

This boy loves to cook.

In completely unrelated news, there was just a tiny earthquake in Portland. I thought it was wind rattling the windows but Jason jumped up and proved me wrong within a minute with the help of the glorious internets. It has been a few minutes and he is refreshing the number of responses being reported. If this doesn’t give you some real insight into the person I live with, I don’t know what will.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Cory said...

hi there,

we're in east moreland, and also felt the earthquake tonight.

-Cory

11/05/2006 10:24 PM  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

Can't believe I didn't notice it. I am usually so quick to notice them, even when I am asleep when one strikes. Must be losing my touch.

11/06/2006 8:48 AM  
Blogger mama without instructions said...

it was like 7 seconds long here. really easy to miss.

11/06/2006 10:38 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Cooking with an actual pumpkin is a ton of work. I've got one sitting in the fridge that a friend gave me.

I don't want to have it go to waste but at the same time, I'm dreading having to deal with the slimy innards. Shudder!

I had no idea there was an earthquake. I always seem to miss them.

11/06/2006 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home