Thursday, May 04, 2006

a moment for the environment? hell no.

To the perky young lady trying to raise money for OSPIRG outside of the grocery store:

I fully realize that in order to raise money you have to ask people, a lot of people. That’s your job and the more you ask the more likely you are that someone will say yes. However, I am willing to bet that your rate of return is pretty damn close to zero for mothers with a cart full of groceries holding 25 lb child who is yelling “Eat! Eat!” repeatedly in her face. In addition, your “have a moment for the environment?” line only drew attention to the fact that in that very moment the environment was one of the farthest things from my mind, which in turn made me feel guilty as well as annoyed. So, do yourself and your kind a favor, and skip the ask for those of us who clearly don’t have a moment for anything besides a tired, hungry kid. In turn, we may be more likely to listen to what you have to say when we do have a moment for that damn environment.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger nonlineargirl said...

I hate how loaded the question is. This won't work for those folks, but for the people collecting signatures for ballot initiatives I've decided it is ok to lie to them and say I have already signed a given petition. What do they care, they aren't paid by the signature any more!

5/05/2006 7:37 PM  
Blogger Bridgermama said...

When we first moved here I had a "moment" for everyone, now I basically wait for someone else to get pounced upon and then I quietly sneak out of their sight.

5/06/2006 11:01 PM  
Blogger Heather Bea said...

I hate loaded questions, especially when your patience is at an all time low dealing with a squealing toddler. I sometimes wonder what they would say if you asked them how much of the money they were making went back to the cause.

I do care about the environment but I choose to think about it when I don't have someone screaming in my ear.

5/09/2006 9:43 PM  
Blogger Blue Moon Mama said...

You made me laugh out loud. Really. Thanks!

5/15/2006 5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home