Tuesday, May 02, 2006

disappearing ink?

Crayola® Color Wonder™ Markers? Not so wonderful. They seem like a good idea, right? Markers that only draw on the special Crayola® paper and don’t mark or stain anything else seemed like a great idea to me for a slightly spastic and unpredictable but creative toddler. Henry prefers to try to draw on the back side of the paper, which doesn’t work but I can hardly fault Crayola® for that. What I can fault them for is the fact that after a couple of months my child’s formerly vividly colored drawings are fading to a washed out grey. I know that he’s no artistic genius (at least not yet!) but these were some of his first drawings and I had planned to keep a few of them around for, oh, say forever. Now, as they fade to what look like dirty water stains, not so much. Back to good old-fashioned pens and mess for us I guess.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

When I saw these I thought, "is it really a good idea to teach you child that it's okay to color (if even by accident) on the walls/carpet/counters?" Sorry to hear his dear pictures are fading. I like the "washable" crayons okay, though I can't wait to break into the big boxes with more color variety.

5/02/2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger mama without instructions said...

i agree. it's also bizarre to see the white pen tip and the color slowly appear on the paper. i think i was taken by the idea because henry wanted to try drawing when he was really young and as a (former) artist myself i was psyched to let him go for it before he could be trusted not to color all over the table. he's getting much better. washable crayons sound interesting.

5/02/2006 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home